National Salad Month is an annual celebration that takes place in May, dedicated to promoting healthy eating habits and the consumption of salads. During this month, people are encouraged to explore the vast array of salads available, experiment with different ingredients, and incorporate more greens into their diet. The goal of National Salad Month is to encourage people to adopt a healthier lifestyle by incorporating more fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains into their daily diet through salads.
To inspire you, here are some salad recipes submitted by North American Olive Oil Association members.
Green Bean, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
Recipe by Fiippo Berio
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup diced sundried tomatoes in oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette: Whisk together white wine vinegar, shallot, tarragon, mustard, honey, salt and pepper; whisk in olive oil.
- Green Bean, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Salad: In steamer basket, steam green beans and asparagus for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Rinse under cold water and drain well. Transfer to large bowl; add arugula and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette. Garnish with sundried tomatoes and chives.
Tip: If you’re a fan of asparagus, omit the green beans and double the asparagus.
Recipe by Iliada
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 small red onion
- 100-150gr / 3.5-5.2 oz feta cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
Cut the vegetables and add to a large salad bowl in layers:
- Peel and cut the cucumber. Cut into slices and add to base of salad bowl
- Cut tomatoes in half and add to the bowl
- Slice green pepper into bite size pieces and add to the bowl
- Thinly slice the red onion and add to the bowl
- Slice the spring onion and add only the green to the bowl
- Cut the feta cheese and add to the bowl
- Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste
- Dot kalamata olives on top
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
Recipe by Olyfo
Mechouia is a Tunisian dish made of roasted or grilled vegetables, typically red peppers, tomatoes, and onions, which are then chopped and mixed with olive oil, garlic, and spices. Mechouia is a popular dish in Tunisia and can be found in most Tunisian restaurants around the world. It is known for its unique smoky and tangy flavor, and it's a perfect side dish for grilled meats or fish.
- ½ kg peppers (mild and chili, according to preference)
- 5 large tomatoes
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Caraway seed powder
- 1 tsp Coriander seed powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Set oven to broil
- Broil peppers for 20 minutes, rotating peppers halfway through. Make sure the skin is charred but the vegetables don’t dry out.
- Immediately transfer to a plastic bag and seal tightly to steam.
- Repeat with tomatoes and garlic.
- Once at room temperature, gently peel away most of the charred vegetable skin.
- Remove stems and seeds from the peppers and tomatoes.
- Using a food processor, add vegetables and pulse gently until roughly minced.
- Transfer to a bowl, mix in 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and season to taste.
- Plate and garnish with a generous helping of canned tuna, hard boiled eggs and olives to taste.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve at room temperature.
Mediterranean Broccoli Salad
Recipe by STAR Fine Foods
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 chicken breasts
- 7.05 oz cherry tomatoes
- 3.53 oz feta cheese
- 1 apple
- 2.8 oz walnuts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Steam the broccoli for 4-5 minutes until al dente (or boil it if you prefer).
- Cook the chicken breasts cut into strips in a pan with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a salad bowl, combine the broccoli with the chicken, the halved cherry tomatoes, the diced feta cheese, the sliced apple and the chopped walnuts.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking the extra virgin olive oil together with the mustard and honey. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Shrimp and Mango Salad
Recipes by Chef Katie Chin for Garcia de la Cruz
- 2 teaspoons minced galangal fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce, preferably Sambal Oelek
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 16 cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced fresh mango
- ½ cup chopped peeled and seeded cucumber
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tablespoon crushed roasted peanuts
- Mixed baby greens
- In a small bowl, whisk together galangal, palm sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce. Gradually whisk in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sesame oil until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, mango, cucumber, red pepper, cilantro and peanuts. Add dressing and toss to combine. Divide salad greens evenly among four plates. Place salad mixture on top of greens. Serve immediately.
Taco Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Recipe by Terra Delyssa
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup Canned Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup Canned Corn, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup Pickled Jalapeño Slices
- 1 handful Tortilla Chips, plus more for serving
- Make the dressing by combining Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil, fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro, and salt. Set aside.
- To your salad platter add all of the salad ingredients topped with some crushed and whole tortilla chips.
- Add the cilantro lime dressing and serve with more tortilla chips.
Tangy Four Bean Salad
Recipe by Goya Foods
- 1 - 15.5oz can of Black beans
- 1 - 15.5oz can of Cannellini beans
- 1 - 15.5oz can of Chick peas
- 1 - 15.5oz can of Pinto beans
- 1 - medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp - chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp - minced garlic
- 4tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2 red pepper flakes
- 1/2 extra virgin olive oil
- GOYA® Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with Pepper, to taste
- In large bowl, combine black beans, cannellini beans, chick peas, pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic.
- Using whisk, in medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes.-, Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until incorporated; season with Adobo. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Ceasar Salad Dressing
Recipe by Catania Oils
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-2 anchovy filets chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2Tbs Worcestershire sauce,
- 1/2 tsp pepper.