- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, or as needed
- 1 cup olive oil for frying (you can use olive oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- Place chickpeas in a food processor; puree to a thick paste.
- Place onion, parsley, and garlic in the food processor; puree with chickpeas until combined. Transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk egg, cumin, coriander, salt, baking powder, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl.
- Stir egg mixture and 1 tablespoon olive oil into chickpea mixture until well mixed.
- Slowly stir bread crumbs into chickpea mixture until it holds together but is not sticky. Adjust with more or less bread crumbs as needed.
- Form mixture into balls and flatten into small patties.
- Pour olive oil to 1 inch deep in a large cast iron skillet; place over medium-high heat.
- Fry patties in hot oil until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- 1 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water, as needed
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the tahini paste, lemon juice, and garlic in a bowl and stir
- Add water a little at a time to thin the mixture.
- Stir well until the sauce comes together (it may separate).
- Season to taste with salt and more lemon juice, if necessary.