Mashed potatoes can be made without butter. This recipe for olive oil mashed potatoes is surprisingly creamy and easy to make. Try this heart-healthy recipe for the holidays this year. Your guests will love it!
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1.5 pounds Russet or Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Wash, peel and cut the 2 types of potatoes. According to Bon Appetit, using two types of potatoes results in the best texture.
- Put the potato pieces in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Don't forget to add salt to the water.
- Simmer the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until they fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and then add the milk. Continue mashing until they are mostly smooth.
- Add olive oil and continue to mash until they are creamy. Season with salt.
- To serve, transfer to a dish and drizzle with olive oil.