- 1 pound cod, whiting or thin skinless white fish fillets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin or regular olive oil
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a mix of fresh herbs if you have them)
- A splash of Tabasco or other hot sauce (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
1. Remove any pin bones from the fillets and pat them dry. Salt the fish fillets well and set out on a cutting board. Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and set it over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the fish fillets, which should sizzle gently. Cook undisturbed for 90 seconds.
2. When you see the bottom of the fish fillets turn opaque, tilt the pan and use a large spoon to baste the tops of the fish with the hot oil. Do this constantly until the top of the fillets begin to flake, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomato chunks, the Italian seasoning and the splash of Tabasco. Swirl around in the pan to combine and let cook for 90 seconds. Turn off the heat.
4. Put a fish fillet on everyone's plate. Swirl the tomatoes in the pan and add black pepper to taste; this swirling should emulsify the sauce. Spoon out some tomatoes and sauce for everyone and serve at once.
We recommend reading this post on Simply Recipes for details on the technique of basting the fish with the olive oil and tomato sauce. This cooking method avoids flipping the delicate fish (and having it fall apart).