While many of the benefits of olive oil are well documented, you may not know that this heart-healthy powerhouse can also contribute to your hair and skincare routine. It has been used for centuries as a beauty aid; celebrities from Cleopatra to Emma Stone reportedly keep a bottle on-hand for an all-natural beauty boost.
The reasons are as clear as EVOO: olive oil is rich in antioxidants like Vitamin E, which helps reduce UV damage to skin and it also contains compounds like the phenol Oleocanthal, which boasts anti-inflammatory properties. These elements help moisturize skin by reducing the appearance of wrinkles and promoting greater elasticity. Hair conditioned in olive oil is softer, stronger and more vibrant.
Integrating this kitchen staple into your regular regimen is super simple and yields great results in just a few minutes. As an added bonus, a single bottle can last 6-12 months and offers a budget friendly alternative to expensive creams and serums.
Here are 6 great ways to reap the benefits of olive oil:
- Quickly and easily remove stubborn makeup with a solution of filtered water and olive oil. Simply combine ⅓ cup water and 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a small bottle. Shake vigorously and then dab lightly onto a cotton ball. Remove makeup with a few swipes of the cotton ball and then finish with a light cleanser and moisturizer.
- Exfoliate rough skin with a homemade salt scrub. Combine a half cup of coarse sea salt with a half cup of olive oil. Massage gently into elbows, knees and heels for 1-2 minutes and then rinse off in a warm shower. Got a little extra time? Hop in the tub for a longer soak and even softer skin.
- Soften and moisturize your cuticles with ½ teaspoon of olive oil. Rub a few drops into the base of each nail, allowing the oil to absorb in 2-5 minutes. The moisture will help prevent cracking and hangnails.
- Take the sting out of winter with a deep conditioning treatment for your hair. Combine ⅓ cup of your regular conditioner with 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil. Starting at the scalp, work the mixture through the ends and leave on for 5-7 minutes. Rinse and style as normal for super soft tresses.
- Keep your pout perfect with a sugar scrub. Combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix thoroughly and apply to massage into lips. Leave on for 1-2 minutes and then remove with a warm washcloth. Finish with a light application of your favorite lip balm.
- Help strengthen and lengthen your lashes and brows with an application of olive oil. Using a q-tip, carefully work a light coating of the oil into your eyelashes and eyebrows just before bed. In the morning, remove the coating with a warm cloth.
For more on using olive oil on your skin and DIY recipes, check out the following posts.